Sunday, March 27, 2011

Out with the New(er), In with the Old(er)

 And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.
-Colossians 3:17

MAN has God been showing me so many things lately. I've been on a massive spiritual, mental, emotional overload the last month or so...

For example? 

Well, for starters, God has provided so many answers to prayer this week- it's unbelievable. It's funny how when you ask, sometimes how crazy fast He replies. For the last few months I've been contemplating selling my car. It's not anything super special, but I love cars. (More the looks, I'm not super knowledgeable about mechanical aspects.)

In an activity in one of my classes we were to write down/draw a picture of our most prized material and emotional possession. My material possession- was my car. Now, even if you don't know anything about cars, couldn't care less about cars, think I'm crazy for how much I ENJOY them/mine, keep going.....because I challenge you to think of something in your life that you too, take pride and joy in- maybe a little too much. I began asking myself, would I be willing/able to give it up to Christ? If it meant either now or in the future, I would be able to glorify God even MORE by giving something else up to Him?

This is my third car since I've been 16, and with each one- they've gradually gotten snazzier and snazzier. Along with this last one came: heated leather seats, a sunroof, 6-disc CD changer, tinted windows (I splurged), cruise (keep this in mind), lots of room, an overall sporty look. I loved it, guess what else came with it! CAR PAYMENTS! (Dad, I know, I know, I should have listened to you three years ago.)

Anyway, I've just been really challenged to look at how I'm using my money. As I've been working daily (always a challenge) at glorifying Christ with my words, actions, thoughts, summer plans, relationships, etc....He's really shown me that my finances are in that package too. He's an all or nothin kinda God. :) Selling my car and downgrading would mean PAYING off my loan on it, hopefully cheaper car insurance, NO PAYMENTS, higher MPG, NO PAYMENTS- ZERO, and did I say NO PAYMENTS?

So I mulled the idea around for awhile, and finally decided- let's go for it. SO, made The Silver Bullet spik n' span, and put it on Craigslist! After three weeks, lots of interest, but no buyers- I was thinking crud. I tried. Then while I was away one weekend, Dad drove my car and ended up fixing a few of the perks that have been out on it- ie: Cruise Control and my sunroof weren't working.
oh man, my pride and joy!


Take two at Craigslist last week, with lots more prayers that God would provide a buyer and if so, line up a reliable cheaper car soon as well.... and on Tuesday I had a buyer to pick up my car on Friday evening! WOOOOOO! I immediately started searching CL for a car that would be in my budget. Beau and I found one in Eastern Iowa, and bought the thing!
they practically look like the same car, right?
 ......sigh............HA! Quite the difference huh? Ya, I think so too. I went from the Silver Bullet to the Jolly Green Giant...or The Hulk. Haven't decided yet. Now, let me tell you about this puppy's features. Ready!? A bicep and calf workout, with the roll-down windows and no cruise control! :) Yes, that's right, there's absolutely nothing power to this bad boy, it's the most basic 98 Honda Civic you can find!

BUT, this is what I continually praise God for every single time I glance at it-
  • NO PAYMENTS
  • $58/mo cheaper car insurance 
  • 34mpg vs 21ish mpg (Beau figured it to be $650+ savings in gas/yr)
  • No payments
  • 40,000 less miles than the Grand Prix
  • bought for $300 less than what they were asking for :)
So after selling my car, paying off my loan, buying this bad boy, I came out with $200 left over! WOOOOO!

I am being super challenged with my pride in driving this little green thing around, and what I put my money towards. Just trusting that He's got a bigger, better plan for me if I continue to follow and obey Him. I'M IN!
Galatians 1:10
Am I now trying to win the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.

This verse goes both ways, the original context (above) or substituting "people" for "Kendra", and THEN reading it through.

Colossians 3:2-3
Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. 

Thank you Jesus for teaching me this this week! I'm excited to see what God has in store this week! May all the glory and honor be to Him. 


P.S. I'm thinking the non-working cruise on my Grand Prix for so long, and not being able to sell it for awhile there, THEN it selling immediately after it's fixed....was God preparing me for this car without cruise......just sayin' :) I totally think He has a sense of humor, for SURE! I don't think it's quite funny yet though. 
Ephesians 5:20
always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.


1 comment:

Hiz Dotter said...

Kendra, this was so beautiful hearing how your heart for him and passion for Him is growing!! You are truly blessed with joy and a jolly green giant!! :) Jodi Williams